Today Pete and I talk with ex-professional triathlete, Richard Allen who is heading up the new Professional Triathlon Union, or the PTU. The PTU is all about helping pro athletes be more professional and thus be respected enough that they get rewarded for their hard work. Ironman just sold (after this interview was done) for $650M yet prize money and equality in our sport are sore points. The only way this will change is by getting pro athletes to band together to make change.
This is an important topic in our sport and a refreshing look at how change is possible by taking the first step. We see PTU as that positive step forward and one that even us age groupers want to pay attention too.
In todays episode they discuss:
- What is the PTU
- How the PTU started
- The PTU as a work in progress
- The grand slam idea
- Education and mentoring – helping pros be more professional
- A Code of Conduct for professionals
- The benefits of PTU membership
- Grants for athletes in developing countries
- An athlete database, showing stats, races, results, etc.
- The next 12 months – what is in store
- Supporting change via the supporters club
Connect with the PTU on social media at:
Please Help Us Grow
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you have a chance, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We appreciate it!
Enjoy the show!