Without fail every day Charlotte and I have a salad and more often than not it’s made from what ever ingredients we have in the fridge. Not only do these salads taste ‘all time’ but they are jam packed full of nutrients which help create long term health and performance. Below is what typically goes in and how we make a kick ass dressing.
If you’re prepared this salad will only take a few minutes to prepare.
- lettuce leaves, washed, whatever you like, rocket, spinach, cos… it doesn’t matter but do use a salad spinner to get rid of the excess water after washing. It makes all the difference to the end result.
- broccoli finely chopped
- sugar snaps or snow peas chopped
- tomatoes halved
- cucumber chopped
- red or yellow capsicum or both
- toasted pine nuts
- red onion finely chopped- optional
- Protein Choices – We tend to mix this up daily with either boiled organic free range eggs, canned tuna in 100% olive oil, grilled chicken or fish.
- 1 part balsamic vinegar – we use Mazzetti brand with the gold label and vintage written on it as its thicker and holds the rest of the ingredients together
- 3 parts olive oil- can do half half with flaxseed oil.
- grainy mustard
- fresh rosemary
- garlic, one large clove crushed
To mix the salad dressing we have just used an old small jar with the lid. Pour all dressing ingredients in, close lid and shake well. Make more than you need so you have it on hand for a few days.